You good? I AM! I have a big life update that I am SO excited to announce hopefully in the next few days (nope.. I am not pregnant ha)… I also think this particular thing will be a good thing to blog about too… so keep your eyes peeled for that guys!
ANYWAY… how are you all? I feel like it has been so long since I had a normal chat with you all… are you all excited for the next few months? Some of you might have started Uni/gone back to school… let me know! I’d love to know if you have had any big life changes too.
So.. I feel like I am a LITTLE late to jump on the bandwagon but I don’t really care HA.. I wanted to blog about it so HERE I AM. I am the biggest lover of writing about things that I have become obsessed with.. especially when they are beauty related. SO… I thought it would be fab to talk about MATTE LIPS.
There are SO many matte lipsticks to pick from .. it can be a LITTLE bit tough to know which ones do work and suit you.. and I have found my firm faves (and erm.. some not so good ones). Lets see what made it to my list ey?
Sleek Matte Me Lip Creams
WHAT A SHOCKER that these are featured ey? These little babies are so popular in the blogging world.. so it is no surprise that they were the first ones I tried when it came to be picking one up. So.. let’s have a run through the shades I have in my tiny collection…
This was actually the first one I picked up.. and to be honest.. it is my only negative one (boo!). I tried my hardest to like this but it just was not working. I think the shade of it just did not go with my skin tone. It made me look way too washed out and like I had concealer on my lips. The formulation itself is fab but the shade is a big NO for me.
Now.. this shade is more like it. It is a stunning, dark pink, mauve colour and I am obsessed with it. It reminds me a little of my Revlon Matte Balm that you will know I am obsessed with… although it is slightly on the darker side. I think it is the perfect shade for moving into Autumn and it is so worth picking up.
This has to be my favourite shade out of the 3 I have. It is a dark purple/berry colour… which is absolutely PERFECT if you are after that stunning, vampy look. I LOVE wearing this when I have a TON of highlight and a cat eye. I know this will definitely be my fave look in the colder months!
(Top – Birthday Suit, Bottom Left – Vino Tinto, Bottom Right – Velvet Slipper)
WHY I love these:
- The staying power of these is SO GOOD. Once on your lips… it is there to stay HA. I do find that with Vino Tinto, the colour fades on the inside of your lips after a few hours… but this can be normal with darker lipsticks (unfortunately)
- They dry VERY quickly.. I find that within 5 minutes… it is literally dry to the touch and does not transfer onto anything
- There is a fab variation colours if you like your darker, autumnal shades (which.. ahem I DO)
- THEY ARE A FLIPPING FIVER
NOT so good points:
- I find that if I reapply during the day .. they get very crumbly (ew), it is best to just completely remove and reapply if I need to (which is an absolute b**** because it is SO hard to take off). This is why I am chuffed that they last quite a while!
- Personally.. the shade “Birthday suit” is WAY TOO light for me… it is loved by so many other bloggers but it just does not work for me *cries*
- You NEED a matching lip liner. Trust me on this. The first time I applied this I did it without one and I looked like a mess, HAHA.
- They are slighty on the dry side.. and you can definitely feel them on your lips. This does not really bother me… but if you are not a fan.. I’d say avoid them
Bourjois Velvet Rouge Edition
I have seen these floating around the blogging world… so when my mum decided to pick a few up.. I wanted to give them a go to see if they were worth the hype they had. They are slightly more on the pricier side compared to Sleek, costing around £8 each.
Shade: Don’t Pink Of It
I am normally not a wearer of baby pink shades.. I much prefer brown-y nudes or mauve-y pinks (or all out gothic lipstick)… so I was not sure if I was going to like this. BUT… it is a really pretty, muted pink colour. It is amazing for everyday when you want something quick and effortless.
WHY I love these:
- They are so easy to use and I find I do not need a lip liner for these (woop!)
- They last for a VERY long time.. and if I need to reapply, it is easy enough and there is NO crumbliness
- It feels so comfortable on the lips and there is no dry feeling at all
- The consistency of these is AMAZING.. it is very creamy and almost like a mousse!
NOT so good points:
- They are not as pigmented as the Sleek Matte Me’s, and I also have not been able to find a perfect dark shade in Boots!
- There is some transfer when you do the “test” ..(OK that sounds weird.. I mean the test of kissing the back of your hand and seeing if there is any transfer, hehe)
Mac Matte Lipstick in Whirl & Primark Velvet Matte Lip Crayon in Dark Purple
Now.. if you have read my previous post you will know how obsessed I have been with this little gem. I have only ever owned one Mac lipstick before (I know… slap on the wrist for being a bad beauty blogger).. but I finally caved in and purchased Whirl. This was again influenced by all you girls out there (seriously .. you damage my bank account).
WHY I love this:
- Let’s face it.. brown lipsticks have been HUGE this year… and this is the absolute PERFECT shade for my skin tone
- It is so creamy and easy to apply, and the pigmentation on this is INSANE
NOT so good points
- The only negative I have.. the fact that they cost £15 a pop (eeeek!).. but as mentioned.. the are 100% worth the splurge and I will be picking up some more!
Now.. if you have watched my last video you would have seen me using this little guy… Primark have a fab range of lip crayons… including nudes, reds and dark shades (wooo for Primark!).
WHY I love this:
- The colour of this is absolutely BEAUTIFUL… if you love your dark purples… you will love this… it is just the PERFECT Autumn shade
- It is so easy to use… I feel like I literally colouring in my lips with a pencil (ha).. it is effortless!
NOT so good points
- Unfortunately.. these are not the longest lasting things (well.. I wasn’t expecting much as they only cost 2 quid).. It’s a good thing they apply really easily ey.
So they are my fave matte lip products that I have found and become so obsessed with (erm.. besides Birthday Suit). I’d love to know if you have tried any of these and what your thoughts were!
NOW… lets go through a few tips that I have picked up when it comes to matte lips… because COME ON GUYS.. we all know that matte lips are not the easiest to work with right?
- Exfoliate your lips well beforehand… whether it is using a good old toothbrush, or Lush lib scrub.. it is so essential that you remove all that dead skin on your lips to ensure you have a smooth base to work on
- After exfoliating… use your favourite lip balm to moisturize your lips so you have the perfect base
- I find using a lip liner is so essential when it comes to matte lips as it ensures you have an outline to work with. It also makes any matte lip last so much longer and intensifies the colour so much
Right guys.. I hope this was helpful for you all if you are on the hunt for some matte lipsticks! I have never been much of a glossy/sheen lip girlie… so it is matte lips ALL THE WAY for me. I am always on the hunt for more matte products.. so do let me know your faves girlies. I will appreciate it.. although my bank balance will probably kill me for it.
Have an absolutely AMAZING day… I am off to film a video and create my marble background for my blog photos (I FINALLY brought some marble sticky back plastic… woo!).
Lots of Love,
Twitter // Instagram // Blog Lovin //YouTube ♥♥